Edgar Blanchard--Let's Get It

Context is a very important part of listening to music.  The circumstances under which you hear a song can make you hate it or love it.

Such is the story of Edgar Blanchard's song, "Let's Get It."

I have previously mentioned my days as a volunteer DJ at KFAI community radio in Minneapolis.  Back in the mid 80's, KFAI was located at the corner of Bloomington and Lake Streets just south of downtown Minneapolis.  Back then this intersection was the Florence and Normandie equivalent of Minneapolis.  In other words, it was one of the sketchiest areas of the Twin Cities.  Roaming around this area at 2AM was a bit risky to your physical well being.

It just so happened that I had the overnight shift from 2AM to 6AM.  The station was locked up and the only way in was to call from a pay phone on the side of the building and the other DJ would then come down and let me in.

I went to the phone booth and dialed the studio.  It just so happened that the other DJ was currently on the air and couldn't answer the phone.  Just about this time, two nocturnal creatures emerged from the darkness clearly high out of their minds.

It seemed that these two dudes needed to make a phone call too.  And of all the phone booths in the neighborhood, they chose the one right next to me.  I started to worry when it was evident that they really weren't making a phone call.  One guy picked up the phone and put it to his ear but he never put in a quarter and he was whispering to the other guy.

I wanted very badly to just turn my back on these two miscreants and run.  However, every instinct told me that turning my back would have been fatal.  Instead, I just stared them down.  I kept my eyes focused on their every move until finally the DJ in the studio answered the phone.

I made haste around the corner and jumped into the security of the radio station.

Now, I may have been wrong about those two guys.  My life may not have been in danger.  But let's face it, if you're roaming the streets of Bloomington and Lake at 2A you are clearly not out performing philanthropy.

I took a deep breath and settled into the KFAI record library looking for some new music to play for the show and to sooth my ragged nerves.  That is when I found this tune by Edgar Blanchard.  It really is just a simple early R&B/Rock n' Roll beat from New Orleans.  But the context for me was just right and I've loved this song ever since.



I'm guessing the tale of my near death experience moved you so much that you feel compelled to support this blog by actually buying this song.