Wednesday, September 26, 2012

You Need Meat -- The Doors


I can’t help it but popular music has never been my thing.  For some reason I have always been attracted to the obscure.  It may have had something to do with a family that moved up the street from me when I was an elementary school kid.  This family was out of the ordinary.  Unlike the wholesome conservative suburban family life of the early 70’s, this family was a little more progressive.  There were four boys in the family, at least two of which were teenagers in the late 60’s and early 70’s.  My older brother became friends with the younger boys and I hung out with them on occasion too.

This family of five boys influenced my brother who in turn influenced me when it came to music.  While all of my classmates in elementary school were listening to The Grass Roots and the Bay City Rollers, I was being introduced to The Doors, Jethro Tull, Blind Faith, Humble Pie and The Allman Brothers.

My brother borrowed several of their albums and I listened to them myself.  As I was listening, I would read the album liner notes and song credits.  I kept seeing the name “W. Dixon” on several of the songs.  There was “I Can’t Quit You Baby” and “You Shook Me” by Led Zepplin, there was “Spoonful” by Cream, then there was “Back Door Man” and “You Need Meat” by The Doors.     

I soon began to see other initials on rock song credits like “E. McDaniel” (aka Bo Diddley), “J. Wells” (aka Junior Wells), “R. King” (aka B.B. King), "R. Penniman" (aka Little Richard) and the list went on.  It was these anonymous people in the credits that ultimately piqued my interest in The Blues.  

Here is one of those songs introduced to me by the family up the street, Willie Dixon’s “You Need Meat” by The Doors.



No comments:

Post a Comment