Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express--Ellis Island

I was fingering through the dusty record bins at some used record store in Memphis when I stumbled upon this Brian Auger's Oblivion Express album.  It piqued my interest because it had a cover of Lowell Fulson's "Tramp" on it.  I put the needle on the track and I have to say that I was not impressed.  So I moved on to other tracks and low and behold, the needle landed on "Ellis Island."  Once you take a listen to this tune, you will no doubt declare that it is right up my alley.

I don't think Brian Auger was too much of a hit in the United States.  But over in Britain he was a big part of the British Blues movement.  He would mostly be considered jazz and soul, but blues isn't far out of his repertoire.

Anyway, enjoy "Ellis Island."


I know you're aching to purchase this sucker.  Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't carry it.  I guess that mean's you'll just have to keep coming back to my blog over and over and over again.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, missed you at the annual golf hootnanney. I tried to keep the blues train on the tracks when possible but derailing is inevitable. Keep up the good work...I check your site every week and have purchased many singles and a few CD's. If you haven't already check out Hendrix's blues CD (compilation) and some Jimmy Smith...any of them. If you like the Hammond B3 you'll love this!... Later, Java Jack.....P.S. Great site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks bud. I was a little bummed but I made up for it by having a mini-boyz-weekend at the Padres game that Friday night.

      Thanks for listening.

      Delete